Monday, June 30, 2008

Lolly Lewis

I met up with Lolly Lewis on June 23, 2008 at 2:30pm in San Francisco. We met at The Dolphin Club at Aquatic Park, in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Lolly regularly swims in the bay, no matter the temperature. I passed on swimming in the bay that day myself, as the outside temperature was around 60 degrees and I was in heels. The water.....I don't even want to know. Plus, I had an interview to do. A very important one.

Lolly is so very warm and inviting and she has been in the business for a long time. She started recording when there were no other women in sight. She is in a very unique segment of the business, concentrating on live classical recordings. Now, I know from my own experience with live multitrack classical recording, this gig is stressful! There are no re-takes, and you get one shot to capture the concert well. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy (as I do it myself and know what a nightmare it can be, what with barriers to sound such as babies and candy wrappers.....ugh, don't get me started!), but Lolly takes her job in stride.

She seems like a very peaceful and centered person. Perhaps it is the freezing water that she swims in every day? I never got her to tell me her secret to success, but one thing I found truly fascinating about her is that she never seemed to notice that her gender played a role, good or bad, in her career success. Yet, she does have the all-too-common stories of this person or that treating her in a disrespectful manner. But with a career as long as hers, to only have a few stories about being treated poorly is quite phenomenal.

My guess is that classical music and the environment surrounding it is more classy and supportive. I have experienced this myself. Never have I been called ma'am more than when recording classical music. I am surprised that more females haven't found their way into this field, stress aside. Lolly certainly seems to know her stuff. She is the go-to person for many different companys, and her story of how she got into it is quite natural.

To hear others in the industry speak of Lolly, it is obvious I was in the presence of greatness - a true pioneer and legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment