Monday, June 30, 2008

Dana Jae

I arrived in San Francisco to interview a hub of amazing women, and I interviewed Dana Jae on June 23, 2008 at 10am. Formerly known as Dana J. Labrecque, she has sinced changed her name formally to Dana Jae.

Dana picked me up in her white Jeep and we cruised over to a very hip little cafe/coffee shop in the Oakland/Berkeley area. I was staying in the Berkeley neighborhood and she lives in Oakland, so this little place was in the "East Bay" area. I didn't know what that meant until I asked my friend. She told me that I WAS in the East Bay. Oh.

So before meeting Dana I knew that we were going to have a blast, as she seemed to be energetic (as am I, normally) and we both attribute our source of energy to a coffee addiction. Fabulous. So we got our fix at this cafe, and it didn't take me long to realize that Dana was a celebrity at this place. She got her entire coffee drink AND a slice of broccoli quiche for free. That is rockstar power! Apparently she is known there, as she has run sound for them for a while.

Dana has taken the road less traveled for females, forging her way in the live sound category of the audio world. She records too, does sound for film, etc., but her main thing is getting a sweet live mix in whichever venue she finds herself. It was obvious through talking with her that she is no ordinary soundwoman. She takes her craft seriously and doesn't go on autopilot during a gig. She revels in adjusting for each space she finds herself in, each song that comes her way. Certainly she is a true professional who takes pride in her work.

In addition, Dana teaches at City College of San Francisco and encourages her students to come watch her while she is on the job, mentoring them while she works. She seems to really encourage the next generation to find jobs within the live sound field, and loves encouraging females into the industry. The live sound field seems to be the most scarce for female presence, at least through my own observation.

One of Dana's shortcomings (no pun) in the field is her height. At a height of 5'1'', she sometimes cannot reach the boards that she encounters regularly. She has found ways to compensate, and she gets asked to come back to places again and again. I have no doubt that she is one of the best in the business!

For more info on my interview with Dana, you know what to do......

No comments:

Post a Comment