Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cosette Collier

I interviewed Cosette Collier on 5/30/08 at 1pm down at MTSU's Mass Communications building. Upon arrival, I realized I had left my recording device somewhere (how ironic is THAT!) and was without a device. Well, quick like a bunny, Cosette and I realized that we WERE at a college....in the audio department.....with equipment.... so we recorded it courtesy of MTSU's chic equipment stash.

Cosette was a bit of a mystery to me before meeting her on this day. She has been working at MTSU with my husband for the last 2.5 years (well, she has been there longer, but that is when MTSU came into my and my husband's vision), and they taught for the same department (Recording Industry Major - RIM). I had met her once before, but admittedly had had too much beer at that particular AES event (any of you remember it - it was the one across from Yazoo Brewery..... several kegs of free beer.....what can I say), and even met her husband and she seemed so fun - totally a gal I would hang out with if given the choice, and then never really saw her again.

So my reason for meeting up for an interview was partially that I thought she was mysterious and cool already, and part that she has fascinated me as a gal who got into mastering within the field of audio recording. I admittedly do not know how to master a record - really professionally master it with the big old equipment and all - not to save my life. I can fake it really well with software, but it just......isn't........the.......same.

Cosette was fun to interview - she is mainly employed through MTSU (full time, tenured professor that she is) but does side recordings as well. She was honest about her strengths and weaknesses within the industry (we all have 'em!) and has made such great strides (and even shattered a glass ceiling or two along the way) in her career.

She also can be found at nashvillemusicpros.com - or at MTSU if you enroll in their audio program.

For more info on Cosette's interview, read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment