Thursday, July 17, 2008

KK Proffitt

I met up with KK Proffitt at her studio on Nashville's Music Row on July 16, 2008 at 3pm. Her company is called JamSync and it specializes in a whole variety of audio services, but a lot of it is post-production audio; something close to my heart. She has been in that location for 10 years.

KK has a unique viewpoint of the industry at large - both hilarious and jaded all at once. She has clearly had some tough times, much of it due to her gender, but she admits that her personality also sometimes has a tendency to rub people the wrong way. Sounds familiar.

KK's ideas on the music industry are certainly rooted in harsh reality - she has lived through a variety of experiences, but what strikes me most about her is her all-encompassing inner strength. A weaker woman would have quit the business altogether, but not KK. She has opinions and is unafraid to share them.

While this honesty may be seen as "unpopular" in the "nice" corners of Nashville, it is exactly what I love about her. While her story may not be the same as many others I have interviewed, I was looking for the good, the bad, the ugly, and she was willing to dish it out like mashed potatoes.

I truly admire her perseverance and tenacity within the business. Her dream was to have a studio on Music Row, and there she is! She had a lot to contribute to my topic of conversation, and I think everyone will enjoy her comments - it is peek inside the music industry at large, particularly as it relates to Nashville.

No comments:

Post a Comment